. With Love, From The Mother 'Hood: Knitting Naked for Autism Awareness

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Knitting Naked for Autism Awareness


We did receive an official diagnosis of autism for our youngest son (which I was pretty much expecting and is the reason behind my "blog neglect"), but before you all think I have gone off the deep end, Knitting Naked is not some sleep deprived, burned out, crazy hobby I have taken up. In fact it is a very real fundraiser, started by a loving grandmother in order to provide her grandchildren on the spectrum needed therapy (Marsha, you ROCK!). It is a tasteful, tongue in cheek calendar, and from the "Knotty Knitters" here is some info: "Have you heard about the Knotty Knitters from Tacoma, WA? When our story was in the local paper, it was picked up by the Associated Press and it has been non-stop since. 8 local knitters and one knitter-designer from New York posed "almost bare" wearing hand knits for a calendar to fund raise for children on the autism spectrum. visit our website at http://www.knottyknittersforautism.com/ Limited Edition, 2011 calendars are selling for $20.00, plus $5.00 shipping and handling." The calendar is also available for purchase at a discounted rate to families of autistic children for fundraising purposes.

The Hubs and I have been talking about fundraising, but with all we have on our plate, I think it may be awhile before we are able to pursue it. I would love to coordinate a 5k race and dinner to follow in honor of my diagnosed boys with funds going towards research. Someday I will. Right now I am pouring my energy into my kiddos as they return to school. Already I have sent numerous emails, requested a change in guidance counselors for one, a change in teacher assignment for another, attended a meeting to discuss a treatment plan for a third, and orientation for preschool for #4 (phone calls from the teacher are imminent for this one), and school has only been in session for two days. I am also applying to return to school myself while juggling therapies for our newly diagnosed son. My ultimate goal is to work with families and kids dealing with autism.

Today, not for the first time, someone said, "I wouldn't know he had autism", about my older son. I know, I should be ecstatic, right? These comments have increased in the last couple of years as he has reached a level of functioning I thought at one time we may never see (It was truly difficult to navigate everyday life with him just a few years ago; I cried like a baby at his kindergarten Christmas concert when he was able to participate with his class in typical fashion - people definitely stared at me - what a mess I was). While this is what I have strived to achieve over the last 8 years, through all the therapy sessions and the tears, it can be frustrating to hear the doubt in someone's voice when I have lived it. Right now I am feeling a little burned out - I mean, raising a child shouldn't involve enough paperwork to wallpaper my entire house (and so far 4 out of 5 have said paperwork), but that is my reality. It is my life, and I don't know that I would change it if I could - in the end I have five amazing, unique children. Is it difficult, often maddening, trying to get them where they need to be? Absolutely, but if it becomes too much, maybe I will just take up a quiet hobby like knitting naked.

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing advocate for your kids! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You wouldn't know he had autism" is really an acknowledgment and tribute to all the hundreds of hours; difficult, tedious, heart-wrenching work; and gallons of tears (both of frustration and joy) it's taken out of you, Marc, Max and all his siblings to achieve what you have so far!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts